Unlockit Forum
August 02, 2014, 10:28:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WORKING: AT&T GoPhone PrePaid iPhone 4 with data  (Read 52403 times)
nytransiter

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:40:33 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Noticed a lot of people having issues with getting iphone data to work on AT&T's goPhone prepaid SIM.  I have just got this working and thought I'ld explain exactly what I did.

• First, I went and purchased a SIM, on the $50 unlimited plan and was told by the agent, flat out, that data just would not work.  Tell them you know it won't and just want to make calls and they won't give you any hassle.  Note that the $50 unlimited plan was probably not the right choice and personally, I will be changing to the $25 plan as of next month.  Read below for why.
  • Next, you will need to purchase an AT&T data bundle.  Go onto their service portal, choose the data pack (I chose the $25 for 500MB plan) and purchase it.  Note that for what it's worth, I even used a foreign credit card- I left the country at "United States" since you have no choice, but chose "Foreign" as the state.
  • Finally, I also changed my APN through this unlockit website and I chose the "ATT GoPhone" option.

Then it all started working.  I did this for both an iphone 4 and an iphone 4s and both are working, passing data on 3G.  I did have an issue with the 4s which was solved by uninstalling the APN profile and re-installing it, but I think this is because I had it installed before I bought the data pack.

The devil is in the fine-print.  ATT say that their bundled data is not for smartphone use, but they also say that smartphones can use data.  Their wording is not exactly clear.  But anyway, the key is purchasing the separate data pack.  Hence, choose the base plan $50 or $25 on just the amount of bundled call minutes you want and then add on your data packs as needed.

Hope it helps a few of you.
jaejae2012

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:37:00 pm »

Ok.

I followed all the instructions for the AT&T goPhone prepaid SIM. I am on the $50 plan with the $25 data plan. I downloaded the APN through unlock it website (However, there is no "ATT GoPhone option. There is a goPhone option and several AT&T options. But I tried them all). My internet still does not work. I have an iphone 4s. I looked on AT&T website and it says that their data plan is for SELECT smartphones, which ofcourse iPhone is not listed. AT&T wants you to sign a contract for any iPhone's. This is the whole point of trying to get my iPhone 4s to run on a goPhone data plan. Everything else works just fine. I can call/text and connect to wifi. but my 3G is not working. I used to have the iPhone 4 and my goPhone plan worked just fine. Then I got the iPhone 4s went through the same process and its worked for the past 4-5 months I have had it. Until a few days ago it just stopped working. Am I choosing the wrong carrier for my APN or something? PLEASE HELP!
Andro-Thor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 03:52:19 am »

I have used my iPhone 4 as an AT&T GoPhone in the US several times, with a SIM I bought on ebay. ($2/day plan.)
For our trip last week I added 100 mb of data to my account on the web before we left and then installed the Cingular APN when we landed in Vegas. I had Internet as soon as we left the airport!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: